Gazetteer of Plasterers - E


A Plasterer who was presented by Lawrence England for 7 years (28 March 1598), gained his freedom (25 April 1605) and donated a gilt spoon to the Company on his admittance into the freedom (25 July 1605). Over his exceptionally long career he incurred a series of fines for a variety of offences: for ‘takeinge worke under prise by the yarde contrarye to the orders of the howse’ (11 September 1606); for bad work in Poplar and Holborn (15 June 1608); ill work (26 March 1613); ill work near Lyons Inn in the Strand (26 August 1614); bad work (19 May 1615). Despite these failings Eastbourne is listed as a member of the Livery in the Quarterage Accounts from 1616 onwards. He put his mark, rather than a signature, to a Company memorandum about apprentices (23 February 1616/17). Another fine for bad work, ensued, in partnership with Kellam Roades, at Temple Bar and Fetter Lane (13 June 1617). On 25 August 1619 he was one of the twelve Plasterers appointed to meet with the Painter-Stainers to try to resolve the ongoing demarcation dispute between the two companies. He was fined for absence on two occasions (29 June 1620) but was sworn in as Junior Warden for 1621-22 (29 September 1621). He was elected Senior Warden for 1625-6 (12 September 1625). Fines followed bad work in Gracechurch Street and Fleet Street (11 August and 24 October 1626). On 28 November 1626 Eastbourne guaranteed the payment of an assessment by George Echell, who had fallen on hard times. He was fined for absence on Search Day and for bad work at Armourers’ Hall (15 February 1627/8); at St Dunstan in the West (2 December 1628); and in Holborn (2 June 1629). On 24 April 1630 the Company decided that the ‘distasteful words’ spoken by Martyn Eastbrand were not especially directed at Edward Waight, as the latter claimed, and no fine was levied. More fines for bad work followed: in Gray’s Inn Lane (26 May 1630); at an unspecified site (26 May 1630); in Ram Alley (29 November 1632); and at Barnards Inn (22 November 1638). Given the length of his career the number of apprentices that he presented was not very large: Robert Whitton (23 April 1610); William Durham (27 April 1612); Richard Swane, son of a Staffordshire yeoman, for 8 years (24 April 1620); Martin Eastborne, son of a Yorkshire clothier, for 8 years (3 July 1626; free 1633); Francis Newman, son of an Essex carpenter, for 8 years (19 November 1629; free 30 April 1638); Nathaniell Purvior, son of a Hampshire serge weaver, for 8 years (11 May 1637); Ambrose Ford, son of a Middlesex husbandman, for 7 years (25 March 1646/7).

Eastbourne was only employed in the Royal Works for a few years in the 1620s. At Eltham Palace he worked with Richard Talbott on the interior and exterior of the ‘great newe frame and … the lower buylding’ at the Lodge in the Great Park in 1623-4.[1] In 1626-7 he was working on part of the ceiling under the terrace at Whitehall, for which he received 2s 8d for workmanship only; in the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace he was more extensively employed on the ceilings of the Antechapel, the lower rooms, a ‘Compast Ceeling in one of the Clozetts, with diverse Ceelings in the other Clozetts, the greate Staires and the walls of the Organlofte’. This amounted to 684 square yards, for which he was paid £34 4s 4d. Another £23 13s was due for 1135 square yards and 3 foot of lime and hair on the brick walls of the same rooms.[2] In about 1633 Eastbourne was at work for the Earl of Bedford in Covent Garden. For his work at St Paul’s Church he received £71 17s 8d, which encompassed plastering on brick and rendering the walls and ceilings of the portico, vestry and belfry, laying the architrave round the inside of the church and ‘whitewashing and syzeing the Ceeleing of the Church before it was painted’. A considerable amount of routine plastering was required in some of the houses and stables in the new development, which resulted in payments totalling £178 11s 9d.[3]

After standing unsuccessfully in the election for Master (9 September 1633), Eastbourne was elected to serve for 1634-5 (15 September 1634). He failed to be re-elected for 1637-8 (11 September 1637) but served again in 1651-2 (15 September 1651). A successful career meant that he was in a position to make a loan of £100 to the Company, for which he received interest (24 April 1648, 31 January 1649/50 and 25 January 1650/51). In return, the Company paid for the defence of Eastbourne and one of the Assistants in a suit in Upper Bench brought by ‘one unite & his wife’ (28 May 1651). A committee of senior men set up to arrange the letting of the ‘Corner house’ included Eastbourne (23 April 1651). On 11 November 1651 it was recorded that he had presented the Company with six Turkey leather chairs. His will was made on 6 January 1665/6, when he was a parishioner of St Andrew Holborn, and proved on 7 May 1667.[4] He was grateful to be of ‘perfect minde and memory praised be god considering my greate Age’. In the absence of a wife or children, legacies of money and property went largely to his sisters in Yorkshire and London relatives. The lease of the house in which he was living, with all the goods and chattels, was left to Mary Eastbourne, widow, provided that she lived with him until his death. The poor of the parish received £4 and£10 was left to the Plasterers’ Company to buy a piece of white [i.e. silver] plate, engraved with his name. Any surplus was to be divided between John Elsworth the Elder, his cousin and executor, and Mary Eastbourne.

EATON, Solomon (fl. 1607; d. 1613)

A Plasterer, son of a Derbyshire gentleman, who was presented by John Clarkson for 7 years (19 June 1600). He was turned over to Mr [Edmund] Essex (8 March 1603/4). On his admission to the freedom he paid 3s 4d and donated a white silver spoon (10 July 1607) but refused beadleship (24 August 1608). He was sent to the Compter for an unspecified offence (27 February 1610/11). On 4 March 1610/11 Eaton put his signature to the memorandum in which he agreed to take over Oliver Mountford, the apprentice of John Hornby, and pay the fines connected with the transaction. He was committed again (13 August 1612) and was caught up in an unusual dispute with his apprentice, George Fernall, the following month. Eaton brought Fernall and his indentures to the Court, wishing to hand him over to another master; but Fernall was unwilling to serve anyone but Eaton and was therefore discharged from his apprenticeship and forbidden to work with Eaton ‘least more trouble ensued thereon’ (30 September 1612). However, Fernall, son of a Warwickshire husbandman, was presented by John Hornby on 8 November 1612. Eaton died in May 1613, a resident of St Botolph without Aldersgate, and the administraton of his estate, valued at £1 17s 8d, was granted to his widow, Joane, in June 1613.[5]

The Company spent a good deal of effort searching in the Savoy, three offices in London and in the Tower, trying to establish whether or not Widow Eaton’s man had married (2 December 1614 and 10 February 1614/15). Widow Eaton was listed in the Quarterage Accounts until 1619 and her name was crossed through in 1620.

ECHELL, Edward (fl. 1588)

A Plasterer presented by John Betaugh on 4 August 1581. He was turned over to John Walfleet (17 February 1586/7) and paid his abling fine on 30 August 1588.

ECHELL (EATCHELL, ITCHELL), George (fl. 1611-59)

A Plasterer who was presented by his mother, widow of William Echell I, for 7 years (27 April 1604); but was freed as the apprentice of Ellis Piggen (14 June 1611) and paid his beadleship fine (13 August 1612). Echell was admitted to the Livery on 22 August 1621 but on 28 November 1626 he was dismissed because he could not afford the requisite payments, ‘until such tyme as god shall better enable him’. An annotation was added on 2 February 1626/7 recording that Echell was restored to the Livery, and Mr Eastbourne undertook to pay his assessment fine. He was a resident of St Dunstan in the West when, with a barber-surgeon and a chandler, he put his mark to a bond for £30 in 1622.[6] Perhaps it was this that caused his financial problems in 1626. He was unsuccessful in the election for Junior Warden for 1627-8 (10 September 1627) but was elected the following year (15 September 1628). He was not elected Senior Warden at his first attempt (12 September 1631) but was chosen to serve for 1632-3 (10 September 1632). Echell became Master for 1638-9 (10 September 1638). Punctuality was not one of his strong points, judging from the innumerable occasions on which he was fined for lateness (7 August 1612, 13 October 1618, 13 & 22 October 1630, 21 June 1631, 7 March 1632/3, 7 November 1639, 28 August 1640, 11 November 1641, 19 October 1643). Other infractions that incurred fines were: taking work of a Carpenter in Field Lane (6 November 1616); several absences (30 July 1629; 14 February 1632/3, 22 August 1633, 23 April 1634, 25 July 1639, 23 April 1641, 1 December 1642); bad work, with John Walter, at the playhouse in Fleet Street (26 May 1630); wearing his nail bag in Court (8 November 1632); unspecified bad work (3 May 1633, 9 August 1635, 22 November 1638, 18 August 1642, 20 February 1643/4, 15 January 1645/6); wearing a falling band (13 June 1637); swearing in Court (25 July 1639, 27 January 1639/40). Over a long career he took the following as apprentices: William Edmunds, son of a weaver [home town illegible], for 8 years (27 May 1616); John Villars, son of a Leicestershire yeoman, for 7 years (23 April 1618); his son, William Echell II, was freed by patrimony (29 April 1618); John White, son of a Gloucestershire yeoman, for 7 years (22 June 1625; freed 10 August 1632); Richard Norris was turned over to him from William Bennet, deceased (31 July 1634; freed 7 November 1639); Robert Slackford, son of a Citizen Merchant Taylor, for 8 years (23 April 1635; freed 21 August 1645, when Echell was fined for not enrolling him); Henry Gardiner, not previously mentioned, was turned over to Nicholas Franklin (23 April 1652; freed 17 August 1654); Freeman Whiteway was turned over from Nathaniel Kymnell (2 September 1659).

ECHELL, James (fl. 1617-33)

A Plasterer who was freed by patrimony as the son of Walter Echell (23 April 1617). He was listed in the Quarterage Accounts until they end in 1633.

ECHELL, John (fl. 1607)

A plasterer who was among those working for 4-6 days at the rate of 2s. per day for the Merchant Taylors’ Company in 1607.[7]

ECHELL, Walter

A Citizen and Plasterer who only appears in the Company records as the father of James Echell in 1617. His name does not appear in the Quarterage Accounts of the Company.

ECHELL (ACHELL), William I (fl. 1580-91)

A Plasterer who was presented by William Barrye (6 November 1573) and paid his abling and admission fines (18 November 1580) and beadleship fine (26 July 1582). He was fined for bad work in Cornhill (1 December 1581). A fine incurred by Richard Gibson was ‘paid by the hand of William Echell’ (26 July 1585). He presented Robert Holland (23 April 1585); Edward Bafford (9 December 1586); Thomas Howe (11 November 1591). Widow Echell presented Roger Wilson (22 January 1596/7) and her son, George Echell (27 April 1604).

ECHELL, William II (fl. 1617-33)

A Plasterer who was presented by Richard Browne I for 7 years (25 March 1602) but who was freed by patrimony as the son of William Echell I (29 April 1618). He was listed as a member of the Yeomanry in the Quarterage Accounts from 1617-33.

EFFE (EAFFE, ELFE), Page/Patrick (fl. 1608-25)

A Plasterer who was freed as the apprentice of Richard Dungan but who had not been previously presented (4 June 1610). He paid his beadleship fine (25 July 1612), was fined for lateness (13 October 1612) and paid the fine to avoid serving one year as a journeyman (10 February 1614/15). On the same date he presented William Weale, son of a Gloucestershire yeoman, for 8 years Effe was recorded as ‘deceased’ when this apprentice was finally freed (15 April 1656). It is possible that Weale had been in Ireland in the interim, as a plasterer of that name became a freeman of Dublin in 1638.[8]. While still an apprentice Effe was paid for work under Richard Dungan at Salisbury House where he earned 15s for 9 days’ work in 1608.[9] In 1611 he was there again on his own account, earning £41 3s for work at the Wash House and the Clerk’s House, when Rutland House was pulled down.[10] Employment in the Royal Works followed, at numerous sites. He led a team of plasterers working on the refurbishment of Lady Elizabeth’s new lodgings at Whitehall (1610-11)[11]. Further routine plastering with lime and hair was carried out in Mr Bingley’s new office at the Old Palace, Westminster, where he also whitewashed the cellar (1611-12);[12] in numerous rooms in the new building at Somerset House (1612-13)[13] and in Sir Sigismund Alexander’s chamber at the Mews Stables (1613-14).[14] In the same year, at Oatlands plaster of Paris was used by him to cover floors, walls and ceilings in various rooms in the state apartment.[15] Effe was back at the Mews in 1614-15 and at Whitehall he was not only working in lodgings and offices but also ‘lathing and laying with lime and hair a great Ceeling in the close tennis court’, mending walls with plaster of Paris and blacking walls and sheds there and in the little open tennis court. The king provided the plaster of Paris and scaffolding and Effe ‘all manner of other stuff’.[16] The plaster of Paris was listed among ‘Provisions in store at Scotland Yard’ and Effe received a reward of 15s ‘for his paines in directing and helping to sett diverse killes of plaister of parris’.[17] At Greenwich he plastered exterior walls, ceilings and partitions in the new building at the end of the Queen’s Lodgings in the garden (1615-16).[18] Effe’s name does not appear again in the Court Minute Book after 1615 but he was listed among the Yeomanry in the Quarterage Accounts from 1609-25.

ELDER (ELLDER), William (fl. 1522; d. 1554)

A Plasterer who was listed as a journeyman from 1522-25.[19] He was living in Aldersgate when his apprentice [illegible] Watson, son of a Buckinghamshire husbandman, received the freedom of the City in 1551, after 7+ years served.[20] Throughout the 1530s and 40s Elder appears to have been the de facto royal Master Plasterer, before the creation of the official post in 1550. He worked on almost all of Henry VIII’s building projects, his name always appearing at the head of the list of plasterers; and in receipt of 8d or 9d, 1d or 2d more per day than those working under him: Greenwich (1532-9, 1542-3), Tower of London (1532, 1536, 1539), Westminster (1536, 1542-3), Woking (1532-3), Eltham (1532), Hatfield (1533), Richmond (1533, 1536, 1539), Windsor (1533-5), The More (1534-5, 1537, 1539, 1541-2), Bridewell ( 1534-5), Chobham (1536-7), Dover Castle (1536), Canterbury (1539), Rochester (1541-2), Dartford (1542-4).[21] Clearly he must have spent a great deal of time travelling, not least because his spells of employment were rarely continuous at any one site. For example, between February and October 1536 he worked a total of 94 days and 3 nights at Greenwich (23 days), Tower of London (19 days), Greenwich (9 days), Dover Castle (13 days), Richmond (9 days + 3 nights), Chobham (10 days), Westminster (5 days), Richmond (6 days). His total earnings were £3 15s 8d but employment in the Royal Works must have been difficult to juggle within his overall workload. Nevertheless, his position of superiority meant that he was occasionally able to supplement his income by supplying materials such as plaster of Paris and hair. Elder had risen to be Master of the Company for the year from 1545-6.[22] On 14 May 1545 he had made a ‘will’ bequeathing to the Company the hall, which was a messuage called ‘the Pynners Hall’ on the corner of Addle Street, in the parish of St Alban Wood Street, which he had acquired from the Merchant Taylors.[23] This document is signed with Elder’s mark and bears a seal but is not witnessed; it would seem to be a transfer of property ownership, rather than a will, as the property is the only item mentioned. His final will was made on 7 July 1552 and proved on 9 October 1554.[24] Having requested burial in his parish church of St Leonard, Foster Lane, everything was left to his wife and executrix, Katharine. 6s 8d was left to both William Perryman and William Rudkyne, who were to assist her.

ELLIS (ELLEYS), William (fl. 1581)

A Plasterer who contributed to the costs of the Parliamentary bill concerning artificers (Court Day, March 1580/1).

ELSMORE (ELLSMORE, ELLSMER), Walter (fl. 1603-19)

A Plasterer who was first apprenticed to George Mason (8 November 1594), turned over to John Jackson (28 April 1600), who paid his abling fine when he was freed (7 December 1603), when he donated a spoon with his initials W E to the Company. On 6 July 1604 he was fined for keeping a boy unbound for six months and the following month he paid fines for beadleship and ill work in Thames Street (11 August 1604). Evil work incurred further fines: in Knight Rider Street (2 November 1604); in Carter Lane (26 November 1606); in Holborn (30 January 1606/7); he was given until Lady Day to make good the work he had done at Poplar (29 Janaury 1607/8); in Smithfield (29 July 1608); at Puddle Wharf (17 November 1608); at The Three Cranes, Thames Street (11 August 1609); at The Green Dragon, Carter Lane, over against the Wardrobe, in Knight Rider Street, at an inn next to The Green Dragon, in Tower Street (25 February 1612/13); at Blackfriars and Bennetts [?Barnards] Castle (14 June 1615); at Pie Corner and at the Wardrobe (30 May 1616); near the Wardrobe (1 August 1617). He was also fined for absence (19 February 1609/10, 29 April 1613) and committed (presumably to the Compter, 25 January 1615/16). Setting a ‘forreiner’ [i.e. someone who did not enjoy the Freedom of the City] to work twice resulted in another fine (30 May 1616). Elsmore seems to have been unwilling to take on apprentices in the approved manner. He was fined for setting a boy to work contrary to Company Orders (23 June 1607); for setting a boy to work before he had presented him (9 September 1608); for setting a boy to work before he had been presented, at which point he finally presented John Rumney (17 November 1608). He presented William Griffin for 8 years (2 August 1611) but was fined again for setting a boy to work unauthorised, when he presented John, son of William Hill (27 April 1612). Thereafter he presented Bryan Husler of Yorkshire for 8 years (7 August 1612); Robert Francis, son of a Merionethshire  tailor, for 8 years (29 April 1613; previously presented by Thomas Russell on 27 April). Despite his misdemeanours in this regard, he signed with his name a Company memorandum approving the regulation of apprenticeships (23 February 1616/17) and presented William Sanford, son of a Northamptonshire joiner, for 8 years (1 May 1617). Francis Rowland, son of labourer of the parish of St Andrew Holborn, was presented for 8 years (1 August 1617) and Henry Coles, son of a Warwickshire grocer, followed (30 June 1618). Elsmore is listed in the Yeomanry in the Quarterage Accounts until he died and was replaced by his widow in 1619 and 1620.

ENGLAND, Anthony (fl. 1621-4)

A Plasterer who was presented by Lawrence England (22 May 1605) but whose freedom went unrecorded. On 2 May 1621 £4 was received from Lawrence England ‘from the hands of Anthony England as a gratuitie and free guift to the Companie in respect of his long absence and for quarteridge’; and he also paid his abling fine. He paid the fine for not serving his beadleship (20 August 1622) and was present to pay his arrearage of quarterage on 12 March 1623/4. His name was annotated as ‘mort’ in the list of Yeomanry in the Quarterage Accounts for 1624.

ENGLAND (ENGLISHE, INGLISH, INGLOND), Lawrence (fl. 1591-1628)

A Plasterer who was apprenticed to William Bottom (7 November 1583) and freed (11 September 1591). He was fined for ill work (8 December 1592); evil work in Fleet Street (1 August 1605); in Fetter Lane (6 November 1605 and 27 June 1606); by Creechurch (11 September 1606); in Blackfriars (26 November 1606). England’s only apprentice was Martin Eastbourne, presented for 7 years (28 March 1598). He made a payment on behalf of Anthony England (2 May 1621). The Company spent 2d ‘about Lawrence England’ (25 July 1621) and paid the Lord Mayor’s officer about committing England to the Compter (29 September 1625). He was listed in the Yeomanry in the Quarterage Accounts from 1605-28).

ENGLAND (ENGLE, INGLE), Roger (fl. 1613-58)

A Plasterer who was presented by John Avery (6 November 1605) and turned over to Mr [George] Mason (28 July 1609). On 23 April 1611 Mr Mason’s man was sent to Bridewell and three days later Roger England was turned over to Edward Robinson (26 April 1611). He was freed on 11 January 1613/14 and put his mark to a Company memorandum concerning apprenticeships on 23 February 1616/17, although he seems to have taken no apprentices on his own account. His son, Thomas, was freed by patrimony (13 September 1647). He may be identical with Ingles, who worked for 6 days at the Charterhouse in September 1628, for which he received 8s.[25] England continued to pay arrearage of quarterage until 23 April 1645 but his name was then added to the list of Mr Benson’s pensioners. He received charity (26 January 1645/6) and a pension (23 April 1658) but on 25 January 1660/1 Widow Ingle received charity for the first time.

ESSEX, Edmund (fl. 1591; d. 1610)

A Citizen and Plasterer of St Mary at Hill who was buried within his parish church on 29 June 1610.[26] He may also have been the plasterer who was the householder assessed at £6 in the Parish of St Botolph without Aldersgate in 1582.[27] From May-July 1569 Essex was one of a team of twelve plasterers working alongside Thomas Kellie at Eltham Palace, all receiving 12d per day. During this period Essex was employed for 52 days, engaged in mending and whiting walls and ceilings in the queen’s lodgings and other lodgings and offices.[28] His name first appears in the Company records when he was fined for disobedience (2 November 1571). He must already have entered the Livery as he paid for his renewed pattern on 4 June 1574. He was elected Junior Warden for 1581-82 (8 September 1581), Senior Warden for 1590-91 (13 September 1590) and Master for 1592-93, 1597-98 and 1605-6 (September 1592, 10 September 1597 and 10 September 1605). Essex was named as the overseer of his will by James Brigges in 1591. Essex’s position as a respected senior member of the Company is attested by the role he played as an arbitrator and in financial affairs. In the  controversy between Richard Ratcliffe and Robert Gassett on one side and Lewis Gynner on the other, Essex was to act for Gynner (3 December 1595). He sealed a bond on behalf of the Company with Mr Bettes (13 August 1596); and made his mark as an Assistant witnessing the discharge of Mr Bettes’ bond by the Company (23 December 1596).

Nevertheless, he incurred several fines, usually in connection with poor work: unspecified (13 October and 8 November 1577); ill work with Richard Brigges in Paternoster Row (20 November 1579); in Chick Lane and with Mr [Thomas] Casey in Chancery Lane (23 November 1593); ‘for  ill culloringe of a Carroll windowe at my Layde Haywardes’ (2 November 1599); ‘for putting his servant from him unto a bricklayer without the Company’s consent’ (3 January 1600/01); for ill work in Little Britain (3 November 1601); lateness (8 March 1603/4) and evil work (25 April 1605). Over twenty young men were apprenticed or turned over to him: John Wright (6 May 1575); Thomas Bailey (24 November 1581); Richard Robinson was returned from Mr Betaugh (6 April 1582); Matthew Barrett (13 October 1582); [blank] was returned from Peter Sarson (30 August 1583); Walter White (17 December 1585); John Saunders (28 June 1588); one of his apprentices was turned over to Richard Kelly (28 November 1589); Gregory Thorpe (17 March 1592/3). When Thorpe was presented a memorandum noted that Essex would be permitted to take him on as an apprentice provided that he agreed to repay part of the money recovered from Walter White, who had married while still an apprentice. The exact amount to be as much as was thought ‘mete and requisete’ by a majority of the Court of Assistants. More apprentices followed: Edward Brackley (1 February 1594); William Warbishe (25 July 1595); Thomas Crawley (2 August 1595); Andrew Goodyear (6 November 1595); John Atkinson II was turned over from William Piggen for the final two years of his apprenticeship and agreed to work one year as journeyman for 4 marks (11 December 1596); John Archer, son of a Staffordshire farmer, for 8 years (25 January 1597/8);

Henry Green was turned over from Widow Hopper (7 March 1597/8); Robert Jackson, son of a London Citizen and Mason, for 7 years (2 November 1599); Romayne Cocke, son of a Hertfordshire yeoman, for 9 years (13 October 1600); Thomas Sall, son of a Norwich shoemaker, for 7 years (7 December 1603); Solomon Eaton was turned over from John Clarkson (8 March 1603/4); Thomas White (10 July 1607); Oliver Mountford was turned over from John Hornby by mutual consent (23 February 1608/9); Thomas Dodd was turned over from Robert Simpson (22 April 1609). Essex must have had a good reputation as a master as more than half his apprentices achieved their freedom. His name does not appear as an Assistant in the Quarterage Accounts after 1609.

EVANS, John (fl. 1605-06)

A plasterer employed at Holy Trinity the Less in 1605-06.[29] He is possibly the apprentice of that name who was turned over from Henry Pritchard to Hugh Morris ap Randall (2 May 1608).  His initial presentation went unrecorded and he did not become a member of the Company.

EVANS, Thomas (fl. 1567-8)

A plasterer recorded working at Lincoln’s Inn under Richard Tyffen in 1567-8.[31]

EVANS, William (fl. 1590-1607)

A Plasterer of St Giles Cripplegate, paid alongside Thomas Casey, Henry Willis and others for work at St Lawrence Jewry in 1592.[32] His servants Jane Holmes and Henry Reignolds were buried at St Giles Cripplegate on 13 August 1593 and 17 October 1593 respectively.[33] Evans was apprenticed to Henry Willis (31 May 1583) and paid his abling fine on 8 May 1590. He presented the Company with a silver spoon worth 10s, with his name engraved on it (20 July 1590) and paid his beadleship fine (9 September 1591). He was fined for ill work (28 July 1592) and for ill work in Dowgate (4 September 1592). His first apprentice was John Hornby (presented 2 May 1595), followed by John Flood (presented 5 August 1607). Evans was listed among the Yeomanry in the Quarterage Accounts until 1606 and noted as ‘died’ in 1608.

EVERETT, (EVERED), John (fl. 1612; d. 1613)

A Plasterer, son of a Somerset husbandman, who was presented by Walter Whitney for 9 years ([undated] January 1604/5) and made free on 20 February 1611/12. He remained in the Yeomanry in the Quarterage Accounts. Everett made his will on 23 August 1613 and probate was granted on 26 November of that year 1613.[34] Everett died with £50 owing to him from a kinsman resulting from the sale of land in Somerset. £8 was to be spent on a decent burial, with supper for his friends and neighbours. The only plasterer named was John Adams II, to whom he left ‘all my working tooles and paternes’ and 10s 6d in settlement of a debt. But he also left £1 to be spent on gloves for the young men bachelors (presumably fellow-plasterers) who carried his body to the grave.

EVERS, John (fl. 1571-77)

A Plasterer who was admitted to the Company on 1 September 1571. He was fined for disobedience (2 November 1571); and for unspecified faults, together with Robert Kelley (4 September 1572). He paid his beadleship fine (8 August 1573) and presented John Hollywood as his apprentice (6 May 1575). Mr Evers’ man was fined for an unspecified offence (2 August 1577) but neither name appears again in the Company records.

EVERS (IVERS), Richard (fl. 1575-90)

A Plasterer who paid his abling and admission fees (29 July 1575) and who was among those noted as ‘bachelers this yeare’ in a memorandum (17 August 1576). He contributed to the costs of the Company’s Parliamentary bill (28 July 1581) and presented an unnamed apprentice (4 August 1581). He was fined for appearing at Court without a gown or a cloak (6 April 1582). Raph Partrige was presented by him on 2 February 1589/90, the last occasion on which Evers’ name was recorded.

EYRDALL (EARDELL, ERDALLE), Abraham (fl. 1613-52)

A Plasterer presented by Henry Greene (1 August 1605), who became free on 25 June 1613. He signed his name to a Company order concerning apprenticeships (23 February 1616/17). He paid fines for his beadleship (25 July 1618) and for not serving one year as a journeyman (6 August 1619). On this last date he presented John Batchelor as his apprentice. He was fined for bad work at two sites (3 August 1621). It was noted on 11 February 1624/5 that a petition had been preferred against the Company by Eyrdall and others. This seems to have been unsuccessful as he was committed on 3 February 1625/6; on this same date William Whiting was reimbursed for money laid out about ‘Erdalles business’. On 23 April 1627 he took another apprentice, William Waters, son of a Northamptonshire slater, for 7 years (freed 18 June 1634). An unspecified payment ‘re Eardell’ was made on 3 December 1633 and a further payment ‘re Abraham Eardell’s suit’ followed on 5 February 1634/5). Thomas Turner, son of an Oxfordshire carpenter, was apprenticed to him for 7 years (2 May 1634; freed 26 July 1641). On the latter date Eyrdall took as apprentice Lawrence Greenough, son of a Gloucestershire yeoman, for 7 years (freed 29 August 1648). He continued to pay arrearage of quarterage as a member of the Yeomanry until 11 January 1647/8 but on 25 January 1652/3 his name appears as a pensioner but is crossed through and annotated ‘voyd’.

EYRDALL (ARDER), Randall (fl. 1613-24)

A Plasterer apprenticed to John Slared (1 August 1605) who entered the Yeomanry after paying to be freed one year early (30 July 1613). He was one of the team working at the Charterhouse under Kelham Roades in 1614, earning 20d per day for 10 days between May and July (LMA ACC/1876/F/09/48, pp. 6-7). He put his mark to a Company memorandum concerning apprenticeship (23 February 1616/17) and paid his beadleship fine on 25 July 1618. He was last recorded paying arrearage of quarterage on 13 October 1624 and his name is crossed through in the Quarterage Accounts for that year.

EYRE (AYRE, EARE), William (fl. 1613-25)

A Plasterer presented by William North, who was fined for setting an apprentice to work and keeping him unbound for one year (1 August 1605). Eyre was freed (8 July 1613) and paid his beadleship fine (26 August 1614). He was fined ‘for setting a forinare at woorke’ (2 February 1615/16) and signed his name to a Company order concerning apprenticeship (23 February 1616/17). He was fined for absence (25 July 1618) and was, with Abraham Eyrdall, among those who preferred a petition against the Company (11 February 1624/5). His name is crossed through in the Quarterage Accounts for 1624.


[1] TNA AO 1/2424/54 and E 351/3257.

[2] TNA E 351/3260.

[3] Survey of London, XXXVI, The Parish of St Paul, Covent Garden (London), 1970, pp. 279 and 290.

[4] TNA PROB 11/324.

[5] LMA DL/AL/C/001/MS 09050/005, f 29v.

[6] TNA REQ 2/393/162.

[7] LMA CLC/L/MD/D/003/MS 34048/009.

[8] C P Curran, Dublin Decorative Plasterwork of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, London (1976), p. 99.

[9] HHA Bills 28. 

[10] HHA Receiver-General’s Accounts Book, Accounts 160/1.

[11] TNA AO 1/2419/41.

[12] TNA AO 1/2420/42.

[13] TNA AO 1/2420/43.

[14] TNA AO 1/2420/44.

[15] TNA AO 1/2420/44.

[16] TNA AO 1/2421/45.

[17] TNA E 351/3249.

[18] TNA AO 1/2421/46.

[19] LMA CLC/429/MS 02192. A transcription of extracts from the Court Book made in the mid-19th century.

[20] C Welch (translator & ed), Register of Freemen of the City of London in the reigns of Henry VIII and Edward VI, London (1908), London & Middlesex Archaeological Society, p. 50.

[21] Bodleian Library MSS Rawlinson D.775-81 & 783-5 and Foljambe, passim; Nottingham University Newcastle MS Ne.01-3, passim; BL Add. MS 10109, ff. 35v, 42v, 46r.  

[22] LMA CLC/429/MS 03555/003. A bundle of copies of documents made in the 19th century.

[23] LMA CLC/L/PG/G/001/MS 06134; TNA PROB 11/37/139.

[24] TNA PROB 11/37.

[25] LMA ACC/1876/AR/3/9. Midsummer Quarter Book, 1628.

[26] LMA P69/MRY4/A/001/MS 04546.

[27] R G Lang (ed), Two Tudor Subsidy Assessment Rolls for the City of London: 1541 and 1582, London Record Society, 29 (1993), p. 127.

[28] Bodleian Library MS Rawlinson A.195.c, ff. 212v, 220v, 228v.

[29] LMA P69/TRI3/B/004/MS 04835/001.

[30] LMA CLC/L/MD/G/243/MS 34348 ff. 30, 32, 40.

[31] The Records of the Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn. The Black Booss. Vol. I. From A.D.1422 to A.D.1586, Lincoln’s Inn (1897). Appendix 1. Building costs 1567-8, p. 448 (p. 31).

[32] LMA P69/LAW1/B/008/MS 02593/001 f. 66r.

[33] LMA P69/GIS/A/002/MS 06419/001.

[34] TNA PROB 11/122/551.

Site by Flood